Is God Calling You:
…to be in ministry with youngest members of our faith community? …to share your love and your gifts with all the children at the Temple? The Children’s Ministry Committee (CMC) is working to identify persons who have gifts to share with the children at the Chicago Temple. We invite you to prayerfully consider how you are called to participate in children’s ministries and encourage you to fill out our brief church survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NP6HFYM. Also, if you know others who have gifts for this ministry, please encourage them to respond. Your participation is great appreciated. Question? Contact Deacon Erin Kruger (email@example.com).
NURTURING THE CHRISTIAN FAITH
DIVERSE CHILDREN/YOUTH IN A DIVERSE URBAN CHURCH
CORE OF THE CONGREGATION
SHARING OF PARENTS WITH CHRISTIAN PARENTING
COMFORTABLE RELATIONSHIPS WITH TEACHERS, STUDENTS, PARENTS, AND CLERGY
“The vision of Children and Youth Christian Education is to promote education and spiritual growth, and to be good stewards of God’s gifts, talents, and resources.”
The VOLUNTEER TEACHERS rely on the parent involvement in the classes as much as possible. There is always a way an extra person or more can contribute. We expect that parents be involved in the Christian education of their children and youth.
8:15a.m. to 12:15p.m.
4th floor with a staff leader and volunteers for infants to age 2.
11 a.m. childcare for children ages 3-6 in the preschool area with volunteers.
Sunday School Classes For Children Ages 3 Through High School
- ages 3-4
- ages 5-6
- ages 7-8
- ages 9-11
The 9:30 a.m. Sunday School Schedule
- Youth begins at 9:30 a.m. on the 3rd floor.
- 4-6th grades in room 416 begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Kindergarten – 3rd grade begin in the music room in the 4th floor children’s wing.
- They are dismissed at 10 a.m. to begin the Sunday school class.
- Preschool music begins at 10 a.m. in the preschool area.
Music with Temple Young Musicians…
Music is an important aid in child development, and a vital part of a child’s spiritual life. At 9:30 a.m., children in grades K-3 meet with Mr. Jeffrey Taylor for fun worship songs, percussion instruments and introduction to music-reading.
Preschoolers meet for their own music time later during the Sunday School period.
Children from 4th grade and up have opportunities to share their musical talents during worship. They also sing, read, narrate and play parts in the Children’s Nativity Service.
The Temple Young Musicians participate in the 11 a.m. worship services on:
- Children’s Sabbath (in the fall) – singing and instruments.
- Children’s Nativity (in December).
- African-American History Month (in February) – singing and instruments.
- Palm Sunday – processional with palms to open the service.
- Mother’s Day (May) – a Temple tradition where children, moms, grandmothers,
families sing together.
Activities throughout the year include:
- Open House in September and May
- Fall Children’s Sabbath
- Nativity story in Worship
- Palm Sunday Procession in Worship with Palms
- Mission project
- Acolyte Ministry (Grades 5th and up)
A confirmation class is formed every 2 years. Confirmation requires a significant commitment on the part of the youth and the parent.
Children and Youth grow in discipleship and learn about discipleship for today in Christian education, music, worship, and service.