Christian Education – Adults & Children
Adult Christian Education
- Small Group Bible Study
- 9:30am Sundays
- Introductory Bible Study
- Advanced Bible Study
- Home Studies
Sundays 9:30am Christian Education Opportunities
Dixon Bible Study:
One of the longest running Bible studies in Chicago, meets in the Dixon Chapel on the 2nd floor, this approach is to focus on the Scripture for the Sunday with the leader providing much information on background through culture, meaning, and history of the passage.
Parents of Youth and Children:
Meets in conference room 420 on the 4th fl. near the children’s Sunday school rooms. Studies a variety of approaches during the year, including a book of the Bible, Christian parenting, a theological or current book that is a discussion for the Christian faith, and Wesleyan understanding of the faith.
We are pleased to offer quality staff nursery care during the 9:30-10:50 Christian Education period as well as children and youth Sunday school. We are blessed to have this time for a congregational focus on Christian Education.
The congregation studies the same Advent book during this liturgical season. New groups are also formed for this special study.
A six-week study is conducted by the whole congregation, often bringing in a common time for the congregation to talk together about this study.
“The vision of Children and Youth Christian Education is to promote education and spiritual growth, and to be good stewards of God’s gifts, talents, and resources.”
The VOLUNTEER TEACHERS rely on the parent involvement in the classes as much as possible. There is always a way an extra person or more can contribute. We expect that parents be involved in the Christian education of their children and youth.
8:15a.m. to 12:15p.m.
4th floor with a staff leader and volunteers for infants to age 2.
Sunday School Classes For Children Ages 3 through High School
Seasons of the Spirit, a United Methodist approved curriculum is used in all children’s classes. The material follows a biblical theme, includes Advent and Lent.
- Preschool ages 3-4
- 1st-3rd grades
- 4th-6th Grades
The 9:30 a.m. Youth Sunday School Schedule
- Youth begins at 9:30 a.m. on the 3rd floor.
- 4-6th grades in room 416 begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Kindergarten – 3rd grade begin in the music room in the 4th floor children’s wing.
- They are dismissed at 10 a.m. to begin the Sunday school class.
- Preschool music begins at 10 a.m. in the preschool area.
Music with Temple Young Musicians…
Music is an important aid in child development, and a vital part of a child’s spiritual life. At 9:30 a.m., children in grades K-3 meet with Mr. Jeffrey Taylor for fun worship songs, percussion instruments and introduction to music-reading.
Preschoolers meet for their own music time later during the Sunday School period.
Children from 4th grade and up have opportunities to share their musical talents during worship. They also sing, read, narrate and play parts in the Children’s Nativity.
The Temple Young Musicians participate in the 11 a.m. worship services on:
- Children’s Sabbath (in the fall) – singing and instruments.
- Children’s Nativity (in December) – a Christmas play.
- African-American History Month (in February) – singing and instruments.
- Palm Sunday – processional with palms to open the service.
- Mother’s Day (May) – a Temple tradition where children, moms, grandmothers,
families sing together.
Special Activities throughout the year include:
- Open House in September and May
- Fall Children’s Sabbath
- Nativity story presented in Worship
- Palm Sunday Procession in Worship with Palms
- Mission project
- Acolyte Ministry (Grades 4th and up)
Confirmation requires a significant commitment on the part of the youth and the parent. Contact Jordan Harper, Youth Director for details about upcoming classes.